Memories

As I rocked Giovanny tonight, I thought of my blessed grandmother who spent most of her life rocking her children, grandchildren and every one elses children to sleep. Then I thought of the songs she sang us. And "Papa what would you take for me" cane to mind. Here are the words to that precious song that will forever ring in my memory of beloved thoughts.

"PAPA, WHAT WOULD YOU TAKE FOR ME ?"

She was ready for sleep and she lay on my arm
In her little frilled cap so fine,
With her golden hair falling out at the edge
Like a circle of noon sunshine;

And I hummed the old tune of " Banbury Cross "
And "three men who put out to sea,"
When she sleepily said, as she closed her blue eyes,
"Papa, what would you take for me ? "

And I answered, "A dollar, dear little heart,"
And she slept, baby weary with play,
And I held her warm in my love-strong aims,
And I rocked her and rocked away,

O, the dollar meant all the world to me, .
The land and the sea and the sky,
The lowest depth of the lowest place,
The highest of all that's high.

All the cities with streets and palaces,
With their pictures and stores of art,
I would not take for one low, soft throb
Of my little one's loving heart;

Nor all the gold that was ever found
In the busy wealth-finding past,
Would I take for one smile of darling's face,
Did I know it must be the last.

So I rocked my baby and rocked away,
She was weary and sleepy with play.
And I held her warm in my love-strong arms,
And I rocked her and rocked away,

And I hummed and hummed and hummed away,
Mow much, O, how much would it be?
When she sleepily said, as she closed her blue eyes :
"Papa, what would you take for me ? "

And the morning came, and my babe was as white
As the pillow on which she lay,
For the angels came in the dark midnight,
And they bore my darling away;

And I bowed my head and thought of those
Who dwell far over the sea,
Who hear not the voice of the blessed Christ :
"Let the little ones come unto me."

So I laid my baby to rest at last
In the churchyard, so lonely and cold,
But I know that she now is with God on high,
And she's walking the streets of gold,

And I gave my wealth that all might hear
The words that so comforted me,
For so many are the hearts that are weary and sad,
Yonder, over the restless sea.

— Chaplain McCabi.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I love that you posted this. You will have to sing it for me sometime. What a great tradition to pass on.

4th of July background

Coolest Music